"Paradox - in latin- seemingly absurd but really true...."
Wow! This book has an amazing first chapter and lays the ground work for some serious reflection. Brene Brown does a great job of getting into our core and it forces us to truly think about why we have a need to belong. Why a tribe is so important. Why we INNATELY cannot deny ourselves this true need!
At the center of this innate driven need to belong we have to remain true to ourselves. True to our authenticity. We have to belong to ourselves first and then we truly belong.
Questions to ask yourself for Chapter 2. And as before you can do these for yourself, or in a group. Dig deep - you only have to share with yourself which, is the center of one's ability to truly belong.
1. What does wilderness mean to you?
2. Review the 7 elements of trust.
Boundaries, Reliability Accountability, Vault, Integrity, Non judgement, Genorosity
3. When have you had someone violate these 7 elements. One person may have done them all or different people for different elements.
4. Now take the 7 elements and apply them to yourself.
WHEN have you violated these elements to others. And then when have you violated them to yourself.
Apply this to work, family, groups, loved ones.
5. Recognize where could you have changed your choice above and not violated the element. Would you have had a different outcome.
Ex. You violated telling a story that was not yours to tell and ended up in a argument with that person and are no longer friends.
Ex. You told your friend that you were going to help watch their child and you did not and chose to go out with friends. Your friend lost their job.
6. Review the daily practice and reflect on the paradox of the 4 elements. Understanding that we are dynamic human beings and that we can sometimes live in a paradox is important. It allows us to know we do have tools to use in any situation. BRAVING is one such tool. Being able to self assess daily.
7. For one week do a daily self assessment ask yourself -
Today was I:
Being able to reflect on our own actions and those around us allows us to gain control of these actions and to be able to truly belong without compromising our authenticity.